Saturday, June 28, 2014

Feast of Sts. Peter and Paul Homily - June 28, 2014


Feast of Sts. Peter and Paul

June 29, 2014

Conversion

 

            Peter and Paul – the two rocks on which the Church was built, the two men that Jesus entrusted with the most dangerous, difficult mission of spreading the Gospel, leading the Church, and saving souls – these two men both had something in common: they started out as great sinners.

            St. Paul, of course, was a persecutor of Christians. He was responsible for the murder of hundreds. Although we don’t know Peter’s sins, the very first time he met Christ, he fell at his feet, saying to the Lord, “Depart from me, O Lord, for I am a sinful man.”

            But what happened to both of them? They had conversions. The word conversion comes from the Latin “conversio” which literally means “turning around.” To have a conversion is to have an encounter with the Lord who literally turns our life around, so that we’re facing in a new direction and walking in a new path.

            For St. Peter, it happened right there in that boat on the sea of Galilee. The Lord did not depart from Peter as he asked, but instead told him, “Come, follow me.” And Peter left everything immediately, and went to follow Him. His life turned around completely after encountering the Lord.

            For Paul, the conversion was even more drastic. He was heading to Damascus to capture and murder even more Christians when he was blinded by a light and met Christ face-to-face. His life then took a completely different trajectory – from a persecutor of Christ to a preacher of the Gospel.

            For most of us, our stories aren’t quite as drastic. But I do hope that all of us here have had that life-changing encounter with Jesus Christ. My own personal conversion happened when I was a teenager. I wasn’t a bad kid, but I certainly didn’t take my own faith very seriously. However, there were several things that happened simultaneously that caused me to develop a real relationship with Jesus. First, I had the privilege of going to Rome on a pilgrimage when I was 14. Walking in the footsteps of the saints, standing in the Coliseum where tens of thousands of Christians shed their blood for Christ, and seeing the great history and works of art that all proclaimed God’s glory, made me realize for the first time that my faith is bigger than my small, boring parish church back home – maybe there really WAS something truly epic about this Jesus thing! A short while later, my parish started perpetual Adoration – where there would be someone adoring the Eucharistic Lord at every hour, night or day, seven days a week. My family signed up for an hour, and though I went reluctantly at first, I soon began to love spending an hour in silence with God.

            Around that time, when I was a senior in high school I began taking a philosophy class at a local community college. The professor was an agnostic, and many of my classmates argued passionately against the existence of God. I was forced, for the first time, to examine my beliefs – did I really believe in God, in Jesus, in the Church? The best argument, for me, was looking around at the life that my classmates were leading – a life of parties, drunkenness, fornication, gossip, and the endless pursuit of money, and I saw how deeply unhappy they were beneath all that. For me, that was argument enough to search for something more – how should I live my life? Only for God alone if I really wanted to find peace and joy.

            At the same time, I would go on retreats with my church youth group, and I met a group of very authentic Catholics who challenged me to go deeper in my Faith. And deeper I went – for Lent that year, I decided to take on the worst penance I could think of – I promised the Lord that I would pray the Rosary daily. At the time, I couldn’t stand the Rosary. To me it was tremendously boring. But throughout that Lent, I began to discover the treasures of it – how it calmed my mind and caused me to meditate on Christ’s life. When Lent was over, I was addicted to the Rosary, and I’ve prayed it every day since I was sixteen.

            What God did in my life was awesome! He saved me from a life of sin, from a life of pursuing selfish and self-centered goals, to a life of grace and pursuing Him.

Have you had a conversion – a profound, life-changing encounter with Jesus? It doesn’t need to be dramatic, like St. Paul. St. Peter’s conversion was more gradual – as he got to know the Lord more, he began to become more like Him, until Peter even followed Christ to the point of dying on a Cross, like Jesus did. If you have had a conversion, a turning-around, then you realize deep within your heart that you are created to be a saint, and you hunger for a deeper relationship with Jesus. If you have not yet had a conversion, today is the day of decision. Is this something you want? Is this something you desire – to be better than mediocre in your faith, to make your entire life about loving Him who first loved you? His grace, even now, is knocking at the door of your heart. He is inviting you to live a more meaningful life, to become the best-version-of-yourself. Today is the day of conversion – if you are willing to turn from your sin, from your former way of life, and begin the long, arduous, beautiful journey toward Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment