Sunday, October 19, 2014

The Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil

* Note: From 2008-2010, I wrote an occasional blog for the Archdiocese of Baltimore's website. This is one of those blog posts. *




Title: The Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil


 


            Okay, so I’ve come up with a new theory of how the world works. Sort of.


            At the very least, I was thinking about grace, and wondering how (and why) some people seem to readily accept the Gospel message, while others really never internalize it and leave it at a very shallow level. Why is it that some people truly have a conversion, a real experience of God, and pursue Him profoundly, while others (who often have the same circumstances, upbringing, etc) seem to stay on the fence and not take their faith to that next level, living a lukewarm, Sundays-only faith?


            I think part of the key might be encountering, and profoundly understanding, evil.


            Here’s what I mean: when a soul truly encounters evil, or at least realizes the utter futility, vanity, and absurdity of this world as a nihilist would understand it, they are forced to make a choice. They could embrace the evil, embrace the chaos, or reject it all and cling to and pursue God as the One Who makes sense out of this messy world.


            This is something that I had to go through during my “conversion”, when I finally awoke to the reality of my faith. As a sixteen-year-old kid, I had a chance to go to community college and get a job, which was quite an eye-opening experience for a homeschooled kid like me. And it through me into a funk. I became, for a time, quite cynical about this world, seeing my friends and my peers only concerned about selfish gain and pursuit of money; seeing the many injustices in this world and feeling powerless to cure them; seeing how miserable I and my friends were because of an existential loneliness; understanding how many people deny that truth exists at all. I finally realized that this cynicism of mine was an invitation to seek hope, and the only hope and only truth that I could find was in the Lord.


            I thought of this experience of mine over this past weekend. I’ve been working with a young man named Matt, a freshman in public school, in a faith-formation program since this past summer began. I had known him before this, though, because he was in my Confirmation class last year. He seemed, in the Confirmation class, to be just an ordinary, run-of-the-mill kid who didn’t take his faith seriously at all.


            But since this summer, as I got to know him more and more, he started to share with me his pessimism and cynicism about the world. He is fed up with the falsity and duplicity that he sees in himself and his friends; he sees how stupid his friends are when all they care about is popularity, sex, and money. We’ve talked at length about his cynicism with the world.


            Last month, though, he threw me for a loop when he asked me for a Rosary. I gave him one, along with the instructions on how to pray it. He began to pray it daily.


            This weekend, we had a deep conversation, where I marveled at how faithful he had been in praying the Rosary daily for a whole month. He said something to me in the course of our talk that I’ll never forget. He said, “I feel like for my whole life, I’ve been living life half-asleep, and now I’m finally awake.”


            Why is it that some people, like Matt, suddenly understand what it’s all about, while others live their whole lives as Christians and never really know what it means to be alive in Christ Jesus? I think it’s because most people never have a true knowledge, a true experience, of the evil and vanity that we find in our world.


Most people don’t see this world as a fundamental dichotomy between the emptiness of the spirit of this world and the richness of the Lord. They seem to think that the world is a very nice place, a good home for eighty or so years of fun. This leaves their faith in a juvenile state because they are never forced to choose between God and Satan, between eternity and the futility of this world.


I think about some of the youth with whom I work. Some of the young people who are the holiest are precisely those who aren’t innocent but who know what evil is out there in the world, but who have chosen to follow Christ instead. Had they never considered the evil and the vanity of the world, they would never have been forced to choose the Lord.


Maybe this is going out on a limb, but I think that’s why God allows as much evil and futility as He does in the world – because without it, there would be no need to choose goodness instead.


I don’t know if this theory is all entirely one-hundred-percent accurate, but it has been helping me to understand the world a little better. God is the only cure for our hunger, the only antidote to a random and meaningless world. Let’s choose to pursue Him in the midst of an often-evil and chaotic world.

No comments:

Post a Comment