Sunday, October 19, 2014

All This, and Heaven Too!


*Note - from 2008-2010, I wrote an occasional blog for the Archdiocese of Baltimore's Website. This is one of those blog posts. *

Title: All This, and Heaven Too!
 
 
            I can’t help but think of Heaven lately. Partly it’s because I have been reading an interesting book during my holy hours – a book called, “Making God the Joy of Our Soul.” This book is really a collection of homilies given by a certain Fr. McLean Cummings, who was a priest at St. Johns in Severna Park (my old pastoral assignment), many years ago. He speaks frequently about the joys of Heaven and why it’s worth looking forward to.
            Also, I’ve been thinking about Heaven partly because I see so frequently why this life is a “valley of tears”, as we sing every night here at the seminary in the Salve Regina. So many people are so broken and wounded that we really must long for a time when we will be renewed in Christ. But even for those who aren’t psychologically/spiritually wounded, seeking after the things of this world leaves us empty and hungering for deeper happiness. Something within us cries out, “There must be more than this!”
            I remember talking to a young man with a great soul in my parish this past year. I was commenting that he was always so full of joy and life, and that I was very inspired by that. He just simply responded, “Well, of course. I’m joyful because that’s what Heaven will be like.” I was at a loss for words in the sight of such wisdom from someone so young.
            And it’s so true – Heaven is worth waiting for. God has been so good to give us so many blessings in this life. I was just reflecting tonight with a brother seminarian that this is the best life ever – we get to praise God day and night, study about His love, become friends with awesome souls who are all seeking the Lord (plus play sports and eat good food!). But on top of all this – Heaven awaits! We are all just souls longing for God, and He has offered us eternity with Himself!
            So I pray, “All this, and Heaven, too!” (I really thought that was a quote from a saint, but after I googled it, I discovered it was actually a 1940s movie with Bette Davis). Oh well, no matter, it’s a great prayer anyway – sometimes all I can do is thank God for all this, and for the crowning glory of His gifts, life eternal with Him, the Desire of our hearts and souls!
            Forgive me if I ramble, but my whole point of this post is to help you (and help me) to desire Heaven more. If we only knew what awaits us, wouldn’t we want to give it all away to purchase that “pearl of great price”? Heaven – joy eternal, immersed in love, peace reigning supreme – is offered to us every day. Let’s pursue it…let’s pursue Him!
            For He has given us all this, and Heaven too!

No comments:

Post a Comment