Friday, October 23, 2015

Homily for Ordinary Time 30 - October 25, 2015


Homily for October 25, 2015

Ordinary Time 30

Progress in the Spiritual Life

 

            You know what I love about airports? Moving walkways. They’re great! You can just stand on them and you start moving down the terminal, getting to your destination faster. And it doesn’t require any effort on our part!

            Unfortunately, the spiritual life is not like a moving walkway – it does require effort to make progress in our relationship with Jesus. Today’s Gospel is a perfect parallel to that!

            The Gospel is about a healing, but it’s about more than that. The man is not only physically healed, but he encounters Jesus and experiences spiritual healing through faith in Him. But notice this man’s progression. First, he is seated by the side of the road, stuck in a rut. That’s symbolic of how we can be stuck in sin, in a rut, not moving closer to the Lord. But he hears something – he hears the good news about Jesus Christ, about how the Lord can heal him physically…and forgive his sins. So he cries out to the Lord!

            But people tell him to be silent. The world will tell you that you don’t need God at all. Don’t bother seeking, the world will tell you. It’s not worth it. No one cares. God isn’t real.

            I remember when I was in sixth grade at a Catholic school, our teacher gave us an assignment to write and deliver a persuasive speech. For all of us in the class, it was our first time public speaking, and we were all super nervous. For the life of me, I couldn’t think of a topic to talk about. My friends were doing a speech trying to persuade the class to save the environment or persuading us that the Giants were better than the Jets, but I wanted a challenge. So I wrote my speech about why we should love God more. I guess it was my first homily – as a sixth grader!

            I was tremendously nervous about giving this speech, and as luck would have it, I was the last one in the class to go. Finally, my palms sweating from nervousness and fear, I was able to give the speech…and no one in my class reacted. Just blank stares. Afterward on the playground I asked my best friend Philip what he thought of it, and he said something I’ve never forgotten: He said, “Who cares about God?”

            So, as we try to seek after the Lord, people will try to silence us and say, “Who cares about God?” But for this reason, like Bartimaeus, we must strive to seek the Lord even more. Finally, Jesus calls to Bartimaeus, and what does the blind man do? He leaps up and throws off his cloak, and runs to Jesus. He is no longer sitting in the pit of sin and despair. Instead, he throws off his cloak – the symbol of his old life – and runs to Jesus. Likewise, if we want to be followers of Jesus, we must throw off the old life of sin if we want to be His followers.

            Jesus then heals him, because of his faith. And if we have faith in Jesus Christ, a faith that is alive and passionate, then this faith in the Lord will heal us too. Does Bartimaeus then go back to sitting down? No! He begins to follow Jesus, to walk with Him – to make progress in his spiritual life.

            There is no automatic walkway in our spiritual journey – we have to walk, daily, and follow Jesus! That’s one reason why I love hiking – because hiking is a great spiritual analogy. If you want to get to the beautiful view, you have to walk the long, arduous trail. There are no shortcuts.

            This past summer I went out with some friends to Colorado, where we enjoyed the Rocky Mountains. Our first day there, we drove up Pike’s Peak, which is over 14,000 feet high. A short distance from the top, I asked to get out of my friend’s car so I could hike. I didn’t want to go to Colorado and say that I didn’t hike Pike’s Peak! So I found a trail and started hiking…and about ten feet into the trail, I immediately regretted the decision. I don’t know if you’ve ever had altitude sickness, but it hit me HARD. I couldn’t catch my breath because the air is so thin, and I was overwhelmed with dizziness, nausea, and headaches. As I watched my friends’ car drive off towards the top, I thought, “This is NOT the best decision I’ve ever made…”

            About forty-five minutes later (and this was only a quarter-mile hike!), I finally reached the peak, where I found my friends enjoying fudge from the gift shop on top. But as hard as it was, I was the only one that could say I hiked up Pike’s Peak!

            For most mountaintops, however, there is no shortcut, there is no automobile road. You have to hike it. And to advance in your spiritual life, you have to rise and walk like Bartimaeus, following Jesus.

            If you aren’t making progress in the spiritual life, you are sliding backwards. It’s like when salmon swim upstream every year. If a fish were to stop swimming for a moment, they would soon be carried downstream, further from their goal. They must swim constantly to make progress. Likewise, if we are not constantly growing in our faith, we will instead lose progress!

            What helps us make progress in the spiritual life? Well, like anything that grows, it must be nurtured. Spending time in prayer. Reading the Bible and other spiritual books. Attending things like retreats and spiritual events. Frequently receiving Confession and Holy Communion. Doing the works of mercy such as feeding the hungry, visiting the sick, or teaching religion classes.

            How do we know if we truly are growing in our love for God? We ask ourselves: am I sinning less? Have I given Jesus control in every aspect of my life, trusting Him completely? Am I growing in virtues such as humility, chastity, kindness, generosity?

            Bartimaeus’ life was changed because he met Jesus Christ, was healed of his blindness and his sin, and followed Him in faith. No longer sitting by the side of the road, Bartimaeus began a journey, following in the footsteps of the Lord and making progress as a disciple. Does our faith in Jesus Christ continue to grow daily, or has it grown stale? Are we sitting by the side of the road, or daily walking after Jesus?

No comments:

Post a Comment