Monday, April 20, 2015

Fourth Sunday of Easter - April 26, 2015


Homily for the Fourth Sunday of Easter

April 26, 2015

Good Shepherd Sunday

 

            Eleven-year-old Brett Haubrich of St. Louis has cancer. He’s currently undergoing chemotherapy for brain cancer, but his suffering hasn’t shaken his faith. Recently, the Make-a-Wish Foundation approached him and asked what he would like for a wish, he demurely declined, but the organization persisted – is there any place you’d like to go? Anyone you want to meet? What would you like to do when you grow up?

            He answered that he’d like to be a priest when he grew up, so the organization contacted the Archdiocese of St. Louis. Bishop Carlson was thrilled with the idea. Last month, he invited young Brett to be a “priest for a day” – the boy served with the Bishop at Mass in the morning, had dinner with the seminarians in the evening, and had his feet washed at the Holy Thursday Mass at night.

            In all, Brett said it was one of the best experiences he’s ever had. He already has a great love for the Eucharist and for the Mass…and if, God willing, he is able to beat this cancer, he hopes to actually become a priest when he grows up.

            I thought that was a great story because it should be a natural part of every young Catholic man’s life to think about becoming a priest. Today is Good Shepherd Sunday, the day on which we consider how Jesus continues to shepherd His flock – through priests.

            All of us are in need of being led, protected, fed. How easy it is to wander away from the path to Heaven! How easy it is to fall into dangerous errors, how easy it is to fall into sin! We need shepherds to keep us on the right path, and Jesus knew that too – so He established shepherds after His own heart: priests.

            A priest is a man who is willing to lay down his life for the people, in imitation of Christ, Who did the same. A priest is a man totally sold-out for Jesus Christ – a priest doesn’t belong to himself, he belongs to God. Yes, being a priest is a life of sacrifice, it’s a tough life – it’s a life for real men who are madly in love with Jesus Christ.

            I first started thinking about the priesthood when I was pretty young. You know how some kids pretend to be doctors or teachers when they play? I used to “play priest” and have Masses in my living room using potato chips and grape juice. But then, of course, once I grew up and discovered girls, I thought maybe I should become a sports announcer or a professional rock musician so I could get married. But the idea never really went away – and I remember when I went to Rome on a pilgrimage when I was 14, I remember seeing the churches that people built for the glory of God, these beautiful and huge churches, and I thought, “What can I do with my life that glorifies God?” I began to think again that perhaps the Lord was calling me to become a priest.

            That summer, I still remember telling my best friend Billy that I was thinking about becoming a priest. We were talking about what we wanted to do for a living, and he told me he was thinking about becoming a doctor. I was really nervous to say it out loud, but I told him, “I’d like to become a priest.” There was a very long and awkward pause before he replied, “Joe, you’re not that ugly. I know you can get a girlfriend.”

            A lot of people focus on everything that a priest gives up. And yes, it is a sacrifice to give up a family and a career. But where there is love, sacrifice is easy. After all, priests are men in imitation of Christ, Who laid down His life – can we do any less?

            Besides, the joy of being a priest far outweighs any sacrifice. For only a priest can say those healing words, “I absolve you of your sins.” Only a priest can take ordinary bread and wine and change them into the Body and Blood of the Savior. When a person is dying, when a baby is born, when a couple wants to unite in marriage – they call the priest, who, in his very person, brings Christ into the moment. What a joy and a privilege it is to be a priest!

            A priest sacrifices much because he is a man who is only half in this world. Priests are men whose lives are half in Heaven, because we can bring Heaven to earth in the Sacraments, and bring earth to Heaven by teaching men and women how to be saints.

            [Dear younger brothers in the Lord, God is calling some of you to become priests – to give it all away to follow Him. Don’t be afraid to do so! If God calls you to do something, He will give you the grace to do it – and He will give you great happiness in following His will. How do you know if you are called to be a priest? First, if you have the desire. Perhaps you see what a priest does and think, “I’d like to do that”. Maybe you want to live a radical life of holiness. Second, if you have the desire for it, pray about it – and talk about it with a priest. I am convinced that God is calling a few of you young men to become priests – and I think you will be excellent priests if you have the generosity to say yes to God’s will!]

            What a great joy it is to be a priest! Pray often for your priests, that they may be good shepherds after the heart of Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment