Saturday, February 21, 2015

First Sunday of Lent - Feb 22, 2015


Lent 1, 2015

February 22, 2015

Covenental Relationship with Christ

 

            During Lent, my homilies are all going to be about how to have a personal relationship with Jesus, because really, that’s the heart of our faith. Some of us already have that personal relationship – but others, even people who have received baptism and confirmation, may not have a personal relationship with Jesus. Simply because we’ve received the Sacraments doesn’t mean we have a living relationship with God through Jesus! But what does a living relationship with Jesus look like? Let’s turn to our readings to get an idea.

In the Old Testament, God broke into human history to bring men and women in relationship with Him. He swears an oath today with Noah, but a special type of oath called a “covenant” – this is an oath that establishes a relationship. God adopted Noah into His family. But that covenant was imperfect – it was limited only to Noah and his family.

            The good Lord wanted to increase His family and offer His sonship and daughterhood to everyone of every nation. So He continued to offer covenants throughout history – to Abraham, Moses, and David – each time increasing the number of people who live by faith in Him. Finally, He sent His Son Jesus to invite the whole world into the covenant.

            This is why Jesus speaks those words in the Gospel – “This is the time of fulfillment” – in other words, this is the time that God will offer the grace of a relationship with Him to the entire world. Jesus then goes on to say, “The Kingdom of God is at hand.” What is this Kingdom? It is a kingdom over our hearts and lives when we live out our relationship with God. He then says, “Repent, and believe in the Gospel.” What are the two requirements of anyone living in a relationship with Jesus Christ? Repentance – we have to give up our sins – and faith.

            You see, a covenant is a very different relationship than a contract. A contract is an exchange of goods and services. I give you something, you give me something. I give you a dollar, you give me a double-quarter-pounder-with-cheese. That is a type of relationship to be sure, but it’s one where we use the other person to get what we want. A covenant, on the other hand, isn’t “I give you something, you give me something” but “I give you myself, you give me yourself.” It’s a type of relationship where we give of ourselves so the other person can benefit.

            A lot of people’s relationship with God resembles a contract. “I’ll go to Mass and say my night prayers, God, if You give me x” – fill in the blanks: a good job, success in school, more friends, money, health, whatever. That’s not what a real relationship with God is all about. We should instead say, “God, I give myself to You – I give You my thoughts, my words, my actions, my relationships, my money, my talent. Help me to glorify and love You above all else. In return, all I want is to know and love You and spend eternity with You.” What a huge difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment